I have been asked to contribute to an online magazine called “Lean Toward Happy” available as an app from Apple. This month’s issue is all about creativity. I started to think about what creativity means to me. It is really all about joy. Joy is my word for 2014. I love the word joy. Someone accidentally called me “Joy” recently and I thanked her because joy is such a beautiful word.
Joy: Urban Dictionary
Joy is an incredible woman of character, strength and beauty!
She is compassionate and loving, always giving of herself to others.
Joy is awesome! Everyone who knows her LOVES her!
- The emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying;keen pleasure; elation:
- She felt the joy of seeing her son’s success.
- A source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated:
- Her prose style is a pure joy.
- The expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.
- A state of happiness or felicity.
verb (used without object)
To feel joy; be glad; rejoice.
I want to share joy. So how do I do that? I decided to make a “Joy Map” with eight characteristics that lead to joy for me. I left plenty of room on the graphic so you can make notes for yourself.
Eight Characteristics of Joy:
- Kindness: I believe in kindness towards all people. All people are created by God and I always say, “God does not make mistakes.” Love yourself, Love others.
- Creativity: Creativity is a gift that must be exercised. Passion+ Creativity = Self Expression.
- Faith: I have a faith much bigger than anything on this earth. I am not here to judge you if you do not have the same faith. I just question how a world so full of beauty could happen by chance. Feel free to email me if you are curious.
- Curiosity: Yes, I am curious. I must have answers for everything. If I don’t know the answer, I will study until I am satisfied. #worldbeforegooglewashard.
- Uniqueness: Find your uniqueness. What can you offer that is from your heart. Sometimes we share joy, sometimes pain, but share your uniqueness—there is no other like you.
- Sharing: Well this is just a no-brainer. When you have a gift, you should want to give it away. This does not mean don’t make a profit. It just means share.
- Acceptance: Accepting who you are and who others are without judgement is so important. Check your brain; do not allow negative thoughts about yourself or others. EVER!
- Self Care: This is huge. My self-care is about three things. 1. Checking out every Friday morning to go to my Women’s Prayer Group. 2. Allowing time for learning. 3. Scheduling time in the studio (creative time).
Feel free to print out my map and make notes for yourself. Would you change some of the words? How does your Joy Map differ? I want to hear from you. Reply at hollyherick|at|charter.net. “Show me your MAP.”
I recently read:
“Delivered is better than perfect.”